Sunday, February 21, 2010

Guidelines for "Construction for Humanity"

Well, here are the rules"

  1. You have to use all (or most) of the materials in the box for your original piece.
  2. You can add anything you want to the piece in addition to what's in the box.
  3. Your finished piece should not be any larger than 3' x 3' and we ask that it be a hangable piece of art.
My challenge is I have to use all (or most) of the items. Hmmm? Well, just like any construction job, there is always left over materials. For example, you have a bundle of shingles to fix a roof and you always have a few pieces left over. You put new siding on your home, but you always have left over materials. So in this assemblage, I will use everything but will have left over materials. For example, I have about 4 yards or yellow material. There is not way I can fit all that material into my assemblage/construction, but I can fit in 1/2 yard  of materials. In this way, I am still using the material, just not all of it. Let's face it,  I need to create a cohesive design that will tell a story.

First things first, I will need to have a frame with backing. This will become my canvas. I have a fairly large deep frame that I purchased from Grapheteria before they moved to their new location. It's a beautiful piece and it will make an excellent box to start working with. This will be one of many contributions toward the piece. I will then back it with the large piece of tongue and grove wood that was in my box of construction supplies. I'll have to cut it down to make it fit height. However, it won't fit across the entire back width. There will be an open space on the right. But that's okay because I can build small drawers on the right using the piece of clapboard that was also in my construction supply box. I did back the frame with wainscotting that I had in my shop (aka basement). See photos below:






The frame is 23" high x 15" wide x 3" deep. You can see on the right the piece of wood doesn't go all the way across. However, you can see that I did back the frame with wainscotting. The open part on the right of the frame will accommodate drawers that I will build with the piece of clapboard wood that was in my box. So, this is what I've done so far. Anastasia S. Weigle of In a Bind.

No comments:

Post a Comment